Tuesday 23 September 2008

I am wonderfully made

Ps 139:14-17
14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. Your workmanship is marvelous-- and how well I know it.15 You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion!16 You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your book!17 How precious it is, Lord, to realize that you are thinking about me constantly! I can't even count how many times a day your thoughts turn toward me. And when I waken in the morning, you are still thinking of me! (The Living Bible)


I get annoyed when people abuse their bodies, and christians need to realise that this body is not only the carrier of great treasure but it is the only means by which the gospel is going to reach the rest of the world. We often forget what a work of creative genius we are. Science is the most powerful tool that we have for studying the natural world, including ourselves. But science has a huge failing (well at least one), it doesn't necessarily help us to understand God. In fact, rather than having a PhD in science all that we need is a tiniest amount of faith. Where science stops faith takes over. A case in point is the study of genes or genome. This aspect of science can tell us a lot about our biological nature, the ‘mechanical’ parts but what it can't tell us is why there is in almost every human being an inherent longing for God. DNA does not answer where we get our sense of right and wrong from, neither our urge to –for the most part anyway- do the right thing, even to the extent of risking our own life to save another. This is the exact opposite of evolution. Evolution advocates survival of the fittest, dog eat dog. It is these and other aspects of humanity that let us know that we are more than chemicals and DNA, there is a spiritual part to our nature.* The writer in the Genesis passage lets us know the source of this spiritual nature, it is the life of our Creator.





So as far as is possible lets look after ourselves because you and I are so wonderfully made.


Pray one for another. We need it!





*www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/October1/2.42

No comments: